I am now retired but had a long career as an elementary SPED teacher and later, taught middle school Language Arts. Reading to my students inspired me to begin writing and being around kids all day gave me LOTS of ideas! Sometimes I even made…I mean asked…my students to read my stories and give me suggestions for improvement. I’ve written both fiction and nonfiction picture books, chapter books and books for the educational market. My classroom experience informed my writing, and my writing informed my teaching. I feel lucky to have spent time in both worlds.
For Author Visits:
· Humorous, large group PowerPoint covering my writing process. (gr. 2-8, 45 minutes)
· Smaller group writing workshops on specific, teacher-selected subjects like nonfiction research, how to get and develop ideas, and showing vs telling
· Professional development for teachers
· Literacy nights to talk to parents
· Leading writing workshops for teachers